Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Vowel Song Book for Students with Autism

More Autism manipulatives you say?  OKAY OKAY!  Calm down!  ... twist my arm, why don't you! 

 : )

I am always trying to find ways to help my students with Autism sing and speak in music class.  A colleague of mine showed me a vowel song book that she created and I thought it was such a great idea I made my own! 



I made up a short and simple song that I sing for each page (each page has the same melody):

A      is for    Apple

Ta     Ti Ti    Ta Ta
Mi     Mi Mi    So So

This way, the word that has the picture is sung on a different pitch to help differentiate a little.


Process:
- Have students point to each picture and encourage them to say or sing the vowel sound or the word
ex: "Ahhh" or "Apple"

I keep this activity short and sweet by having different students point to different pictures each time.  It works great!


No comments:

Post a Comment